Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Logocentricism


I Thank You God

Bernard Dadie






"I thank you God for creating me black,
For having made me
the total of all sorrows,
and set upon my head
The World.
I wear the lively of the Centaur
And I carry the world since the first morning.
White is a colour improvised for an occasion
Black, the colour of all days
And I carry the World since the first evening.
I am happy
with the shape of my head
fashioned to carry the World,
satisfied
With the shape of my nose,
which should breathe all the air of the World,
happy
With the form of my legsprepared to run through all the stages of the World.I thank you God for creating me blackFor making of mePorter of all sorrows..Still I amGlad to carry the World,Glad of my short armsOf my long armsOf the thickness of my lips..I thank you God for creating me blackWhite is a colour for special occasionsBlack the colour for every dayAnd i have carried the World since the dawn of timeAnd my laugh over the World, through the night, creates the Day.I thank you, God for creating me black"


Criticism

Logocentricism is subjected to the meaning of  words itself in a literary piece without giving much attention to the author. One example of this type is " I Thank You God", a poem written by Bernard Dadie which eventually became the highlight of his works. It perfectly fits the logocentricists' point of view because the poem has its deep meaning and for the readers to understand it, is by paying attention to the word's profound  sense. Words or phrases that have figures of speech or hidden meanings  like porter of sorrows, I have carried the world and my nose that must snuff every wind of the world  are present in the song; hence, it  is a must to stick on what the word tells to extract its significance.

No comments:

Post a Comment